Friday, July 22, 2011

Making a Difference

Today, KT Mac sent me a link to a page that listed 101 situations that made this person stop and think.  Situations that, I’m pretty sure, we have all faced, whether it be a death of a loved one, love, thankfulness for what you have or whatever.  This list had it all.  As I was reading through this and silently cursing her for sending me this list that made me tear up, I couldn’t help but think, “Despite everything, I really should be a lot more thankful for what I have.”  There were a few stories that included children having more faith and seeing the world in a different way than the adults around them.  Or the poor person who was offered part of a sandwich, but told the person offering that they could share.  This was one of my favorites:

Today, after a 72 hour shift at the fire station, a woman ran up to me at the grocery store and gave me a hug. When I tensed up, she realized I didn’t recognize her. She let go with tears of joy in her eyes and the most sincere smile and said, “On 9-11-2001, you carried me out of the World Trade Center.” MMT

I think in our haste to get through the day, we tend to forget that we only have that moment and aren’t promised the next.  Or that there are people worse off when we get upset over little things, such as the eyeglass place not getting my order right the first time and taking forever to ship the correct pair.  I wonder if we have forgotten that no matter what, somethings are out of our control and getting angry about it just isn't worth your time and energy. 
Keep that in mind as you start your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment