Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Key West

Today, we went on a day trip to Key West and the drive down from Miami was absolutely beautiful...well, the parts that I was awake for.  Any pictures that I could have taken wouldn't have done it justice or should I say, would have been a total insult, so I really didn't even try.  (Sorry, KT Mac!) 

We ended up jumping on trolley that took us around the island, allowing us to get on and off when we wanted.  We were able to get a chance to see where Ernest Hemmingway lived while he was there, the southern most house in the US as well as the southern most point, which also notes that it is also 90 miles from Key West to Cuba. 

Please explain to me why there was a line for people to take a picture with this.  Then guess who said, "There is no way I'm standing in that line."
Also, to the left of this was a house that a woman had built as the southern most house to beat out the "other one" by 19 feet, if I remember correctly.  Of course, I found this to be somewhat amusing.

One of the weirdest things that I saw here was the fact that there are no squirrels running around.  Instead, there are chickens, roosters and chicks running around.  Apparently, cockfighting was not only a big thing around there at one point, but legal.  It was later banned and the chickens and roosters were allowed to roam around the city.  I don't know about you, but I found this a little interesting.

Mama and the babies with the rooster somewhere in the area
So, Key West is known for a couple food items: Conch and Key Lime Pie.  Both were tasted and neither were tastes that I would miss if I never had them again.  At least I tried them and I think that was the whole point of the trip.  (Right?)

Key West had this simple feel to it that I really enjoyed.  There, you didn't necessarily need a car to get around this small island.  A scooter, smart car, bike as well as your own two feet could get you wherever you needed to go just fine.  Besides, a car would be too much of a hassle since space is extremely limited.  Another thing was how this small place looked for any and every reason to celebrate.  They even still celebrate their momentary independence from the United States and from what one of our tour guides told us, they pull out all of the stops for it.  Also, its just so relaxed, for the most part.  No one has a real need to get anywhere and everyone knows each other.  This just makes tourists feel even more comfortable. 

Could I see myself living there one day?  Eh, maybe not until I'm in my 50's, but I could see myself going back to visit...spending more than a few hours there.  Key West has definitely been added to my "I need to go back" list. 

(Sorry about the lack of pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment