Thursday, July 7, 2011

Can Miami come out to play?

When it rains in Miami Florida, its like the world is crying.  I say this mainly because when I think of Miami, I think of sun and extremely high temps, not gloomy and barely 80*.  I mean, Michigan and Chicago had better weather than they did. 

Other than getting bit up by mosquitoes, we went on a tour of Miami and checked out the Viscayne house and gardens.  Personally, I could care less about the gardens, but the house was a historical hot spot, so that got my attention.  Unfortunately, they wouldn't let us take pictures inside (and they were serious about that with security guards at every turn), so I grabbed a few outside.



This looks like the entrance way to Wonderland
After that, we got back on the bus to listen to the rest of the tour.  While we were riding through Little Havana, all I could think about was how much I really wanted to try the Cuban coffee that I had heard about.  Its a very strong coffee that is usually served in a dixie cup.  They say that this small cup is equivalent to 5,6 cups of normal coffee and there is only one McDonald's that actually serves this.  Any other time, you'll have to go to one of the stands in Little Havana, but we didn't get a chance to do so. 

Anyways, the rest of the tour also consisted of a ride through Coral Gables, a beautiful area with amazing homes and the Venetian Pool, a few more areas that weren't as interesting. 




Our poor tour guide was given a 'Tiffany look' when he tried to get on me about not laughing at his lame jokes.  I really wanted to tell him that I was seriously considering the idea of giving him and the driver a tip, but he totally messed that up by calling me out over the mic.  I was nice though, and only settled for a glare, which forced him to continue with his tour. 

Weird thing about Florida is that it gets dark around 7ish, rather than 9:30, 10:00 like it does in Michigan.  (There really is a point to this little fact, I promise.)

We went on another tour that went through the Millionaire Row, showing houses where Usher threw an MTV after party, Diddy, Shaq, Gloria Estefan and many others live or lived.  Another favorite was the house where Scarface was shot and where Al Capone lived for 20 years.  There was one where the owner had his backyard air conditioned.  (Slightly out of control, but okay.)  My favorite part about this cruise was seeing the Miami skyline from the water. 


Was tempted to pitch this one, but I think it totally fits the city
Dinner was, yet another, disappointment.  We checked the Bubba Gumps restaurant and I've got to say that the food wasn't that good and it was seriously overpriced, but the service was great. 

So, it looks like I'll be checking out the Everglades and spending another day in Miami.  Maybe tomorrow, the sun will actually come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment