Saturday, August 14, 2010

August 13th

Meg, Andie and Jill
 
Today I said goodbye to my interns who called themselves my kids and they called me Mom or Mama Tiff.  The past interns that I have worked with, I have rarely thought about them again unless we were telling stories, but these three were different.  Andie and Jill wormed their way into my life before I had a say with their crazy stories and random moments.  When Meg, the youngest started about a month after them, she followed in their footsteps and began calling me Mama Tiff.  

Today was hard for me because these kids kept me on my toes and I became so used to them always being around.  I looked out for them the way a parent would look out for their kids and hated when they were forgotten about by others.  I found that with these three, there was never a dull moment.  Whether it was decorating my new office last month, hearing about Andie's day from hell, Jill's terrible roommates for the summer or laughing over how excited Meg was over Shark Week. 

Their parting gift

Allison, Meg, me, Jess, Jill, Andie and Adair

When Jill and Andie first started in our office, I noticed that the word that they used to describe everything was RUDE!  Of course, when Meg started in the office, she started using this word as well.  Now when I hear or say this word, I will always think of them.  

Appointments had a lunch for them to thank them for all of their help yesterday and it's already hard enough for me to think of something to write in a card other than, "Thank you and good luck," but when it was even harder for me because I actually liked them.  When I finished the last card, I actually had to walk away hoping like hell that I wouldn't cry!  (Yes, I'm human and I do cry sometimes!)  Amy and I asked a couple times if they really had to leave today and unfortunately, the answer was yes. Sigh

To my kids, 

Thank you for a crazy summer!  You will definitely be missed, but I'm sure you already know that!  Jill, please hold it down in DC and I'm sure I'll be visiting!  Andie, please stay away for the bikers and keep the random stories coming!  Meg, what can I say?  You definitely changed my opinion of high schoolers with your maturity and sass.  I know that you all will do well in the upcoming semester.  When you are tempted to do something crazy, please stop and think of what look I would be giving you at that moment if I were there.  Hopefully, that will make you rethink your choices.  Take care of yourselves!


Mama Tiff


Meg, Andie, Jill and I
The Family Tree

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.  ~Flavia Weedn, Forever, © Flavia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment