Monday, October 4, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh My!


Last night, I thought it would be kind of cool to check out the old movies that Celebration Cinema was showing this week.  Casablanca, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Dracula...movies like that.  This week, they were showing the Wizard of Oz, a total classic!  Yeah, I've seen this movie at least a thousand times and know most of the words by heart.  How cool would it be to see this movie on the big screen?  

Anyway, to see this movie on the big screen for the first time was amazing.  I got a chance to see things that I had always missed while watching it on TV.  While Dorothy and the Scarecrow are talking to the Tinman in the forest, I noticed that there were these huge birds in the background.  There were a ton more things, but there is no real point in going into that, I guess.

Watching this movie today reminded me of how ahead of their time this movie was.  It was released in 1939 in color and other "special effects" that weren't usually seen in movies at that time.  The fact that this movie can still fill a theater with people between the ages of one and 80 is amazing.  There aren't too many old movies out there that can do that.  Other than just being a great movie, there is a great lesson that viewers learn.  No matter what happens in your life, anything you could possibly need is already around you.  If it's not, then you never needed it to begin with.  A family who is there no matter what (no matter how much they seem to drive you crazy) and great friends who will be there when times get rough.  

When we all walked out of the theater, Mom told me that this was a great idea.  Finding something that the whole family seemed to enjoy makes it all worth it.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment