Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Sucker for Bookstores

*I've been in a funk lately in terms of blogging and my own writing and maybe it's due to the 90 million things I have swirling through my head, but I think today or should I say yesterday's trip to the bookstore may have helped a little.*


“Old books exert a strange fascination for me -- their smell, their feel, their history; wondering who might have owned them, how they lived, what they felt.” 
― Lauren Willig

There is something about wandering through a used bookstore that just puts me at ease when my mind has spent so much time at full speed.  The more chaotic it is, the better.  


The smell that hits you the moment you walk in and its so different from that of a brand new bookstore, like Barnes and Nobles.  


Running your fingers across the spine of each book, making sure you don't miss one, as the music pours from the speakers in the ceiling or your earbuds, stirring up the dust along the way.  The creases and worn pages of each book telling its own story of how it got there.  


The almost sweet musky smell that hits your nose as you flip through a potential buy.


Its the feeling that as you wander through the store that you're the only one there....no pressure.  Its almost a safe haven... no judgement.


The guilt hits as I approach the cash register to pay for my finds, thinking that I should have bought that last book.  My consolation?  I'll just come back for it another time...


Heaven...


No comments:

Post a Comment