Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Thought...

A few days after I went to Grand Haven, I had lunch with my mom, sister and grandmother and was telling them about my trip. What made this convo stick out in my mind was the fact that my grandmother said, "I can't believe that you can just get up and take a trip like that by yourself."

Days later, her words still come to mind. For me to see a movie or go to dinner by myself isn't a big deal, so a day trip to clear my head was a no brainer. For her and my mom, the concept is almost foreign.


When I took that trip, by no means was I trying to make a statement or anything. All I was doing was doing something for myself. In a way, it turned into something for the older generations to think about. That maybe, just maybe, flying solo may not be a bad thing. A challenge even.


At the beginning of the year, I set out to challenge myself and step outside the box. Without realizing it, by doing something that I love, I did that last week while opening their eyes.


So I say this: if you have never considered going on a trip, to dinner, a movie, whatever by yourself because its depressing, you'd be shocked how untrue that really is. If anything, its almost liberating. I say do it. You'll discover another side to yourself that you didn't realize was there.


"Your true traveller finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty- his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure." ~ Aldous Huxley

1 comment:

  1. You've done an amazing job of challenging yourself this year. I'm so impressed with all the ways you've stepped outside of your comfort zone. Yay!

    ReplyDelete