Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Day for Me

A few years ago, as a way to handle work related stress and to give myself a chance to catch my breath, I started to take sanity days where I could do whatever I wanted.  Days when I would sleep in and focus on me, to rest.  Last year was a little different because of the job situation, but it taught me a lot.  That these days are what save my life, or should I say, my sanity.


There are days when I feel like I am being pulled in several directions, forcing me to try and be everything to everyone.  For anyone who knows how that can be know what I'm talking about.  Not wanting to say no, for fear of disappointing, taking on burdens.  Putting everyone before yourself, even when you're battling your own demons...  


It's absolutely exhausting!


Last week, I figured enough was enough.  Its time for me to make some time for myself for a day, so I took this past Monday off and spent the day in Grand Haven...by MYSELF!  Let me just say that it was perfect.   Yeah, the trip started with an insane thunderstorm that I would have considered to be awesome had I been at home, not on the expressway.  


Over two hours later, I found myself in a coffee shop that was a hot spot for older locals and while sipping on my vanilla latte, this came to me:


Taking a day for myself was the best thing I could have done. Walking through historic downtown grand haven right after a storm is perfect bc it matches the chaos in my head. No one is in a hurry and there are no strangers. A painter meets me at the door of an art gallery just before she urges me to check out her work, which is absolutely beautiful btw.  The overcast skies and the small town feel puts me at complete ease...knowing my car won't be ticketed helps too.


After spending three hours walking through the historic downtown and along the marina with my ipod going, I decided to end my day at one of the beach parks along Lake Michigan and, as usual, it was worth the trip.


And to think, Mom didn't think it would be a good
beach day after the storm that morning




As I drove back home, covered in sand, I don't think I could have been happier.  I had done something for myself and was completely relaxed.  Re-energized...


To someone who has never done anything by themselves, this trip would have been horrible, but for me, it was a reminder that I do need to take time for myself.  Someone I would consider a friend, despite my constant urge to knock some sense into them, said to me that if I want to keep from losing my mind, stressing about the wants and needs of the people around me, sanity days are crucial.  


I couldn't agree more...


Now that I know how relaxing that trip is, I may have to go back...this time with a notebook.


Don't compromise yourself.  You are all you've got. ~ Janis Joplin 

2 comments: