Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Friendly Thought

You know, there was a time when I thought mixing friends from different circles was something that you just shouldn't do, mainly because you just never know if they will get along or not.  After a few attempts at mixing these groups over the past few years have been somewhat of a success mainly because most of the people that I am friends with are similar to me in some way or another.

Last night, I met up for dinner and drinks with Randelle and Amy, to celebrate my birthday and had a blast.  Let me give you a little background on these two.  I have known Randelle since middle school and for the most part, we are pretty similar, including brothers who were the same age and similar family dynamics.  I met Amy while working in the Governor's Office in 2005, but didn't become friends with her until Summer of 2006 when we found out that the glares were really 'I can't hear you's.  Since then, she and I have become really good friends.  

Back to the point...

Well, last night, talking to them was almost like talking to two other versions of myself and the fact that they got along as though they known each other forever was awesome.  Maybe I feel this way because of the fact that these are two of the three friends that I would go to when I need a second, third or fourth opinion and who I can count on to call me out on my crap when I need it.  I am a believer in the fact that your friends are a reflection of yourself because all I have to do is look at the people that I keep around me.

When we were getting ready to leave, Amy said, "I hate that not everyone showed up tonight."  In response to this, I said, "Not really.  The people that I really wanted to be here were here."  Now that I think about it, we were missing one person: KT Mac. 

After things finally quieted down last night, I realized that some people would consider them crazy to be friends with me, since I am not always the easiest person to get along with.  I don't agree.  I consider myself blessed to have them in my life, because, other than my family, they make me a better person.

1 comment: