Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thursday Thought

"Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together. 
~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe


As I was leaving Beaners, or should I say, Bigby, earlier this evening, an older woman who was with her daughter made it a point to hold the door open for me.  Something as simple as this stuck with me for one simple reason.  Not because some people are just like that, which I can understand, but because of the season we have officially entered into.  Twenty days from now is Christmas. 


I'm sure you're thinking "And....you're point being?"


I'm getting there.


This is the time of year when people are a little more patient with perfect strangers.  It's the little things like holding the door open, that smile or nod hello, being a little extra generous with our change when we see the bell ringers outside of the stores.  The list goes on, but I think you get my point.  I have always wondered why we do this as adults.  Is it because deep down inside, there is still a part of us that feels that maybe one of those deeds will make you look better in the eyes of others, like we did as children when we believed Santa was watching to make sure we were good.  That the better we were, the better our gifts.  In a way, it would make sense.


Or could it be that this is how we would like to be the other eleven months out of the year and that it is just a little more convenient or accepted during this time of year?  


Regardless of the reason, I wish that this attitude would continue all 365 days of the year, rather than just the month of December.

No comments:

Post a Comment