Friday, December 2, 2011

An Honest Moment

***Look, I am going to be so honest right now.  A tad bit more than I ever have and if you're not ready for it, then keep on moving.  If not, keep reading.***


On my first Friday night at home in a while, I got a chance to watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, one of those shows that requires a box of Kleenex to get through it.  Each episode tells a family's story and sometimes, it's one that anyone can relate to.  Tonight's episode was one of those.  This episode was one where a young boy committed suicide after being pushed over the edge by bullying.  He was 11 years old...his life hadn't even started.


Instead of focusing solely on the lose of her son, his mother has traveled all over Massachusetts and to Washington DC to fight against bullying.  Her oldest daughter is following in her footsteps, even as she starts her freshman year of college.  Her sister battles depression from losing her nephew.  I can't even imagine how they feel or what they're going through, but I spent the entire episode in tears.




Everyone that was on the show had been bullied at one point or another and I'm pretty sure you were.  


I was.  



The guests on this show included the Kardashian Sisters and Demi Lovato, a newer artist.  Khloe tells the family that because she looked different, thicker and taller than her sisters, she was bullied while she was growing up.  The sisters took the college freshman on a shopping spree...yeah, it was Sears, but it was the idea that they took care of her.  Then they helped the show organize an event with Demi, who was also bullied, to promote anti-bullying.


I'm not going to lie and say that it didn't help shape me into becoming the person that I am, because it did.  All for not being in the popular crowd and for being quiet or looking like everyone else.  Unlike this poor child, I didn't give up and I'm fairly certain had they known, that my family and friends wouldn't have let me give up.  


My point??


Bullying is a real problem....a deadly problem that is affecting the children around us.  What's ridiculous is that it's usually over something as minor as looks, race, opinions, jealousy, anything.  So let's think about how this affected us at one time and consider joining the fight against bullying.  


I leave you with these words: 
Some people won't be happy until they've pushed you to the ground. What you have to do is have the courage to stand your ground and not give them the time of day. Hold on to your power and never give it away.”
― Donna Schoenrock

No comments:

Post a Comment