Friday, August 26, 2011

Two Interesting Attempts

Tonight, I tried the cucumber sandwich, which was a little different, but I am all for anything with avocado.  This was the first time I dealt with pepperoncini and it is definitely an acquired taste.  I have found that you will either love it or hate it, and I am on the "hate it" side.  Even the smell even stays in your nose long after you close the jar or move the uneaten portion of the sandwich away.  The cucumbers and lettuce added that needed crunch that this sandwich needed.  

If you try this, I will make a couple suggestions.
  1. Make sure you like pepperoncini.  If so, good...if not, maybe substitute them with banana peppers. 
  2. The cream cheese may be a little much especially with the mashed avocado...I would consider leaving it out.
As with any recipe, tweek it to your liking.  I think if I try this again, I would skip the wheat bread and try it in a pita because it can get a little messy. 

Recommendation: Try it...it's a different taste and is actually kind of filling, not to mention healthy for you.

The second thing that I tried was olive oil, tomato, and basil pasta.  This was pretty quick and easy dish, or should I say side dish, to throw together in the summer.  I would suggest that if you try this to add a few more tomatoes that suggested and even a few more veggies, such as broccoli, cucumbers or whatever you might want.  With just the tomatoes and basil, it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't quite enough.  It tastes better cold, so this could be something that could be thrown together the night before and eaten for lunch the next day with, let's say, a cucumber sandwich.

Recommendation: It was okay, but I don't see why it came highly recommended in my recipe search.  This is definitely one where winging it is a better way to go, rather than following the recipe.  

Note: If you haven't already noticed, olive oil is a huge ingredient in both items, so....I really hope you like olive oil.  It is better than using butter and if used in moderation, it is really good for you.  
  1. Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
  2. Helps reduce blood pressure
  3. Has shown beneficial effects on ulcers and gastritis
  4. Eases or prevents diabetes
  5. Lessens the severity of asthma or arthritis
  6. Can possibly help in the prevention of colon cancer
  7. Moisturizes skin and slows the aging process
Interesting, right?

Since I've started this, I have found that the most challenging part is sharing a meal with other people who don't think twice about eating meat.  I am still looking for ways to share a meal with them without slipping back into my old habits now that I know that going back and forth like that isn't great for the stomach.  (At least, not mine.)

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment