Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Year Ago Today....

  • We celebrated the inauguration of the 44th president, Barack H. Obama and some would say that he broke a few barriers.  Maybe I would agree to some extent, but not completely.  Some would say that this was a step in the right direction for African Americans.  



  •  In the 1960's, (some sites say 1961 and others 1968) Robert Kennedy predicted that "There is no question about it. In the next 40 years, a Negro can achieve the same position that my brother has."  
  • To me, how amazing is that?  I still wish my grandmother, who grew up during a time that blacks didn't have the same rights as their white counterparts, had seen this day.  She would have been so proud.  I know my other grandmother was! :o)
  • It was said that people came out of the wood works to vote last year and to me, that shows how ready for some sort of change this country was.  
  • One person that didn't vote said to me and a group of friends after the election that she didn't know why "white people were so excited about Obama.  It's not like it was a victory for them."  I couldn't believe they could even say this.  I had to remind them that his victory was one for all, no matter their race.  This was a victory for anyone who was ready for change.  
  • More was said, but I'm pretty sure I had gotten my point across.  
  • This was also the night that my B'dubs group retired blue kamikazes in honor of the Democratic Party.  Thank goodness!  They didn't taste as good as the ones that my table ordered election night.
  • Michelle Obama was the talk of the nation with her awesome dress (and her arms are pretty much amazing, by the way!)
  • George Washington said these words:
"Let it be told to the future world…that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive…that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet [it]."
  •  These word were repeated a year ago today and couldn't have been more perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment