Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Reason for the Season

We are less than a week away from Christmas and there are two types of people floating around: those who ready and excited for Christmas and those who just aren't.  For some reason, I am in the second group.  Does that make me a Grinch?



Maybe or could it be that this beautiful holiday has become so commercial and that people have forgotten the real reason why we celebrate this day?  I think with all the pressure of making sure we get the right gifts for everyone and avoiding going into debt doing so, we have forgotten to remember how this all started.  I know that I am the worst person to be writing to this, but like I said before, maybe I am one of the ones who have forgotten as well.  This holiday has been all about the material gifts, Santa Claus, Frosty and other children stories.




Not that this is all bad....

But does it have to be this way?  This time of year should be a time that everyone should look forward to.  Family, friends, love, food and all the rest of it.  Some people would say that we just need to go back to the basics and for once I would have to agree.  Instead of focusing on what we don't have this season, let focus on what we do have.  Yes, maybe your family drives you to the brink of insanity, but even if they won't admit it, they love you and vice versa.  Yes, your job may be frustrating and even unbearable at times, but there are those days that make it all worth it.  In this economy, you should be grateful.  If you have a roof over your head, clothes on your back and three meals a day, then you should be grateful because not everyone is this world, or country for that matter, has that.

So to shake this "Grinchy" feeling, maybe I should take the first step by taking a step back and remember why we celebrate this day.  Although, I will say this: despite the crazed people that you see in those stores and all, people are a touch nicer this time of year than any other time.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

For now, I say Merry Christmas!

Feliz Navidad

Joyeux Noel

(For a little trip down memory lane:

No comments:

Post a Comment