Friday, June 5, 2009

NBA Finals, Life and Research....

Okay, anyone who has access to the Internet, a TV or newspaper has heard of the whole LeBron James fiasco with him walking off the court after losing to Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference Finals. I, personally, have never been a fan of his and this incident didn't make him look any better in my eyes. Anyway, I thought the NBA Finals game 1 would have been more interesting, but as always, I was wrong. Disappointed? Yes, but I really do think Howard and the Magic can still give Kobe and the Lakers a run for their money.

Being the oldest, I thought there could be nothing that could shock or amaze me until this past Wednesday night. If you don't already know, I watched my sister graduate from high school the other day and for a couple hours, I felt like a proud parent. Thank God I'm not one, though! I don't think she would have made it this far in life! (That's beside the point!) As I watched her walk across the stage, I could only think of her as a toddler during her first birthday party, months after biting into a glass ornament like an apple. She was sitting in a high chair with cake smeared all over her face and clothes and a pan of leftover cake in front of her. 17 years later, seeing this same girl walk across the stage to get a diploma made me so proud. Even to see some of her friends graduate was a little crazy. Then, of course, there was that one kid who decided to do a back flip when his name was called....It wouldn't be a graduation without the extra show!

To the real reason we're all here. Instead of going through my semi-finished book and reading the self-editing book that I bought, I opted to do more research on editing/ publishing companies. YIKES! No wonder most people either opt not to have their work published or publish their work themselves. Between the costs and the odds of them actually getting their work even considered by a publisher, which are slimmer than a semi decent player getting into the NBA during this years draft, is kind of depressing. In my search, I found several sites that said on the home page that they were no longer accepting any manuscripts, especially if it is from a new author! Hmm, I guess that's useful information.

Not everything was a failure, I promise. Just playing around to see if I would get a response from even the smaller publishing companies and see if they would even consider reading my work, I submitted either a very, very small chunk of it to one of them and the most recent version to another. Since this was done electronically, I am supposed to hear something in the next couple weeks. It should be interesting.

In the next few days, after I either rewrite the opening chapter (again!) or tweak it to my liking, I hope to post it for you to read.....Eeks!

Be safe over the weekend! :o)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so, so, sooooo proud of you!!! And impressed at your tenacity. I'm enjoying this blog a lot because you are much more open in your posts than you are in person. There are new sides of you I'm discovering with each read on this site. YAY!

    Oh, as for posting your story online, maybe you could post sections of it in password-protected posts. I would hate to think some random person might find and take it as their own. Yeah, that's the future mother in me talking. I'll just shut up now. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - I totally agree with Amy. I'm all for you sharing your story, but you may want to find a way to protect yourself from plagurizing theives.

    ReplyDelete